Preparation time : 25 minutes
Servings : 14 to 16
1 cup yellow split peas (soaked)
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons corn starch
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 cups water
2 teaspoons chopped spinach
Hot pepper crushed
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Drain peas and rinse a few times until water runs clear. Drain well then and to a food processor along with garlic and pepper. Puree until mixture is a fine grainy paste . set aside
- Add flour, baking powder , corn starch , cumin or garam masala to a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the pea mixture along with water to the flour mixture and stir to incorporate
- Add and mix in spinach , cilantro and salt to taste to the flour pea mixture. Mix thoroughly . Cover and set aside to rest for 1 hour.
- Rub a little oil on your hands and take a little of the mixture at a time , about the size of a golf ball or larger and shape into thick discs. Repeat until all the patties are shaped . Note the mixture will be moist.
- Heat oil on medium heat and fry in batches until browned on both sides. Total cooking time is about 4 to 5 minutes .
- Drain on paper towels .
- Serve warm with salsa, chutney or pepper sauce or just as is.